[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

RE: Re[2]: SECURITY ALERT: Password protection bug in Netscape 2

I think you have misinterpreted the implications of the dialog box you saw.

The authentication information that is saved to the hard drive (in the
user's personal Password List) is encrypted with the user's login
password. (To be more precise, the user's login password is used to
generate a key, with which all the other passwords are encrypted. This
key used to be too short (32 bits), so we've made available a 128 bit
version -- see http://www.windows.microsoft.com/windows/software/mspwlupd.htm)

Hence, no security relevant information is left in the clear on the
hard drive, *and* the user doesn't have to memorize their passwords. Or
worse -- often, naive users with a lot of  passwords to remember write
them down somewhere, thus exposing them to compromise.

Thus, when the user logs out, the user's password list is unavailable
to other users. In addition, Windows can be configured to require a
password to unlock the machine if it is ever left idle for more than a
few minutes, thus protecting the user even while logged in.

Paul Leach